Monday, May 14, 2007

Good Books

I have been reading and listening to a couple of really good books lately. One is called Heaven for kids. Mom is reading it aloud every morning. She started it mainly for the boys, but I am really enjoying it too. Yesterday it went over a story Jesus told about a rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31). It talked the fact that they still had their bodies while one man was in heaven and the other in hades. Jesus told of how the rich man could see Lazarus in the bosom of Abraham and spoke to Abraham. The book goes through questions that kids might ask and answers them through bible verses. Randy Alcorn also has a book called Heaven that is focused towards adults; I haven't read it yet but I am sure it's good too.



I also started reading The Fight along with my bible every day. It has been very inspiring and has encouraged me in my prayer life. It goes pretty deeply into spiritual warfare. I think it is one of those books everyone should read.

The other day mom got these books in from the publisher asking her to read them and write her honest opinion about them on her blog. Mom showed them to me and I wanted to read them too and hear are my thoughts on them.

They are written for about seven and up. I have always been a fan of fairy tales and these (though they were a bit young for me) were no exception. They are very cute stories about little girls who have fairy spirits and can change into their fairy form at will. There are problems they have to solve and are sometimes faced with danger. I wish these books had come out when I was younger, they would have got me reading with no trouble at all. These books are full of magical creatures like fairys, brownies, trolls, gnomes, and talking animals. There are four in the series so far. Today I made some powered sugar puff pastries from the back of the first book in the chronicles. They were very good!

YAY! My Aunt Lori started a blog yesterday!! It is called Life on Oak Hill but she hasn't posted anything yet so you might have to wait for crazy stories about Uncle Kenny or just some good thoughts from a homeschool mom.

14 comments:

Strider said...

Like the new layout, Kezzi. It's definitely an improvement to your last one. I need to do something with mine, it's just finding the time to do something with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Kezzi
Very impressed with your blog, love the layout and everything! It makes me so wish I had a blog!!! Those little kids books look cute.
Besides those have you read any good fantasies lately I mean for older kids like me?

Keziah Haag said...

Oh yeah!! Like I said, I love fantasy. You might have read some of these but I will give you the names anyway. Cornelia Funk writes some great fantasy books like Inkheart, Inkspell, The Thief Lord, and Dragon rider. The Prydain Chronicles, The Keepers series. I am reading Artemis Fowl and I really like it so far. I sort of liked Eragon and Eldest once I got past their Lord of The Rings similarity, Any books by Gorge McDonald (he's a Christian writer). Oh I almost forgot, one of my ultimate favorite books is called The Perilous Guard. The Two Princesses’ of Bamar and Ella enchanted. There’s probobaly more but I can’t think of any write now :).

Anonymous said...

Thank u! I've read George MacDonald, love his stuff, and Eragon and Eldest were good too. Ella Enchanted was OK from what I remember...I'll have to check out some of those others.
And you're probably wondering (as are all your sisters) who Silverstar is. If you can't guess...well, let me know. :) Give you a little mystery there.

zach caddy said...

Are you a fan of the Eragon books. I thought the movie was mediocre, but the books are great.

Keziah Haag said...

Ugh!! I hated the movie Eragon with a passion. Christopher Paolini took enough ideas from Lord of the Rings and Star Wars but the movie was pushing it way too far. LAME, LAME, LAME!!!

I found out who you are, Silverstar, and I am very glad you like fantasy books! :) Hey, I just read a book called Peter And The Starcatchers by Dave Barry and it was great! It’s a prequel to Peter Pan. There are lots more books by Dave Barry that I haven’t read too.

Priscilla said...

Hey Silverstar!!
You should get a blog. It's lots of fun and you'd do a great job especially since you love to write! I'll be seeing you soon!

zach caddy said...

Sorry Kez, I must differ with you. It is a knock off of everything tho, you're right there.
Silverstar's parents won't let her. We should barrage them with phone calls...
And you know what is filth!? I'm prolly gonna flippin gone when you guys are here in June! I'm TO'd.

Lisa said...

That's ok, Zach. We are not coming up there anyway. We are meeting the S. at the resort and then staying with some other friends for a couple of nights. So, Mr. Potts will continue to be an elusive character.

Also, instead of barraging parents for following their convictions in regard to their children, ADMIRE them because it's not an easy job. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey mamalion, you're totally right! Yeah, blogging would be fun but I'm doing something more "constructive" with my writing :) i.e. trying to finish my first full length novel. Besides I love posting on your guys' stuff without you being able to get back!!! :)

zach caddy said...

Oh, Lisa, I just emailed you... Now I know. Um, Kezzi, you're the first homeschooler other than myself that I've seen/heard use the word "Pimp" That made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

You seriously need a new post.

Nathan L. said...

"You seriously need a new post."

I agree. (although I'm not one who should be talking)


By the way, I also like the new layout. SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!

Jessica Wynn said...

Hey Kezzi! It is i, Jessie, lol. I love your layout. The pic on your page that's under "GOD SPEED" looks so familar, is it from a book? Well anyway, see ya later.