Monday, December 18, 2006

Good quotes!

I am reading a book called Michael O'Halloran, by Gene Stratton-Porter. Mickey O'Halloran is a newsie who lives alone in an apartment after his mather died. His mother had taught him to be responsible and care for himself, but one day he accidentally finds a little orphan girl with a bad back named Lily Peaches. Mickey decides to take care of her even though he is hardput to provide for two. He is determined to make a home for her and give her the loving care she has never known. The two children touch the lives of whoever they meet and help to change the ideas of some.
-
From the back of the book: "The story of Mickey and Lily resonates into our own age when definitions of "home" and "family" continue to fuel public and political debate".
-
Here are two quotes I really loved from the book.
These are from a character named Leslie Winton.
-
"As I figure it, it's homes that count, Daddy. If the nation prospers, the birth rate of Americans has got to keep up, or soon the immigrants will be in control everywhere, as they are in places, right now. Births imply homes. Homes suggest men to support them, women to control them."
-
"It's my opinion that modern marriage would be more satisfactory if the engaged parties would not come so nearly being married, so long before they are. There is so little left for afterward, in most cases, that it soon grows monotonous."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorite books! Great post!!

Lisa said...

This was one of my favorite books too. It was really sweet.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Got your message! So can you talk here? but yeah hi it's nice to talk to you again. How are you? I miss ya kid.

Anonymous said...

I read that book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I recommended it to several people but, nobody seemed to like it very much. Couldn't figure that one out!

Lisa said...

I guess most people like the fast-paced adventure filled books. I think it's good sometimes, though, to read a slower book with more in it to think about. Michael O'Halloran provided several different relationship situations to think about. I liked that about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess most people don't have a nose for good book. The way Gene Stratton-Porter Develops the characters is amazing. All of her work is very good! Love them!

W.

Lisa said...

Amen to that. She is my favorite author because of that.

Keziah Haag said...

Hey Aaron,
Yah, we can talk here. Just post comments and I can comment back. Thanks for checking my blog out. Miss ya 2!

Anonymous said...

Mine too